BUSH STREETWas named after Bush House, home of the Meyrick family Pig's Parade - According to George Mason and Mrs Peters this was located at the western end of Bush Street where there were (according to Mason) ‘dove cots, such as those of Pigs’ Parade-part of Bush Street, the site now being occupied by splendid shops. In those cots a man could almost put his arm through the chimney and open the front door’. However, the 1863 map shows no houses between Park Street and Albion Square on either side of the Street. As this was undeveloped land, it is quite likely that pigs were kept there.A major part of Bush Street was built between 1902 and 1907, and a great many house’s suffered either damage or total destruction during World War Two. In the distance the tree wish stands close to St John’s Church stands.We start at the west end before the street was realigned:A Bake House which was owned by Mr Rees was on the south side of the street behind Rees’ house/shop which was in Charlton Place, but his gate was on Bush Street.No.3 On the other side of the road was Doney’s Tuck Shop which was next to a Children’s Clothes shop. Today March 31st 2009 this building is used by DOCTOR BARNARDO’s.No.5 James Howell went into partnership with David Jenkins in the early 1860s, and set up a Drapers outlet and in 1861 they set up shop at No.5. . By 1891 David Jenkins had moved the shop to 19 Bush Street and by 1901 he had retired. Directly opposite was the Bush Estate Services where residence could pay their rent etc, entre to this office was the same gate used by Rees. The MASONIC LODGE was on the east side of Estate Services.No. 69 This was a two storied house and shop with an arched vehicular access to the yard at the rear. In 1939 it was occupied by Edith Thomas and after the Second World War by Mr Geoff. Hewitt (trading as Hewitt Brothers) were electrical contractors and selling electrical goods from the shop. After his death, the premises were sold. They were demolished in the late 1990s and the present building constructed on the site. Nos. 58, 60 and 62 (Old Borough Stores) these were badly damaged during an air raid in September 1940 and were classified as a total loss. They were demolished and rebuilt in the 1950s as shops and flats to the original design. In the 1940s, the owners were the Pembroke Dock Co-operative Society. The afore mentioned buildings were numbered from east to west in 1906/7 the Borough Council decided to reverse them to run west to east. CRESSWELL BUILDINGS. This block of buildings was erected c1904 and was in four parts, theSTAR SUPPLY STORES had a food store, which at some stage Mr Bond was the Manager. Which later became a PIZZA SHOP?The other part of the building was leased by A.J. ALLEN having re-located from No.23 Dimond Street, here he had a shop retailing Stationery plus Toys - Meccano and Hobbies plus a dealer for; Airfix – Revell – Merit – and Aurora Plastic Kits. While on the first floor he had a photography studio. At some stage thought to be in the 1960’s S.J. Allen moved out and Mr KINTON retailing children’s clothing move in. And finally Idris Evans the fruiter had his shop on the east side on the building. At some point the building became vacant and gave way to apartments. No.9 this was a China Shop, and when that closed EVANS the BUTCHER took the building. When he passed away his wife Margaret remained in the flat above until 2007.No.4 and No.8 Mr E.A. TRAVERS was retailing Boots and Shoes, and when he closed a vet took over.During WW2 this building was the BRITISH RESTURANT in the late forties early fifties the LIBERAL CLUB used the building - the Pembroke Dock Museum has a memorial book produced by the Club.No.14 Mr William Henry Kinton aged 71 and his wife Catherine Emily Kinton aged 74 who sold pet food, both were killed during the bombing. Following the end of the war the bomb damage of this building was repaired following which W. G. HARRIES & SONS took it and ran a high class Grocers and Provision shop here. No.15 in 1917 Mr J.P. PHILLIPS had a Grocers shop, the museum has photo’s of his shop front.No.16 in the 1930s this shop was owned by Mrs. Edith A. Dew. No. 12, 14 and 16 - These houses were built between 1902 and 1907 but were partly demolished in the air raid on the 6th November 1940. At number 14, Mr William Henry Kinton aged 71 and his wife Catherine Emily Kinton aged 74 both lost their lives together with a young airman who was staying with them. At number 16, Mrs Maude Harvey B.A. aged 33, lost her life but her husband, Dr T.B.W. Harvey and their young child survived. After the War, the houses and shops were rebuilt to substantially the same design. When No.14 was rebuilt an undertaker moved in. No’s 17, 18, 19 and 21 was DYFFRYN HOUSE owned by F. DAVIES & CO, whose slogan ‘We have a lovely range of blouses from the best makers’. Mr H. Hall occupied No.18 and he had a News Agents shop. No.22 is the building on the south east corner of Bush and Park Street where J. GRIFFITHS sold High-Class Grocery and Provisions. This building at some stage succumbed to flats. While we are at the entrance of Park Street, formally named North Back Cottages - we must highlight the Infirmary which was established in Park Street North, the Pembroke Dock Museum has three Reports dated 1922 which was printed by R, Ward – Davies Main Street Pembroke, the other two covered 1923 and 1925 and these were published by the “Telegraph and Times” at their Printing Office on Main Street Pembroke. At some point this hospital had a name change, and as a result it became the Meyrick Hospital, the Museum has one Annual Report for the Meyrick Hospital dated 1947, and this was printed in the “Guardian” Office at Pembroke Dock. Moving back now to Bush Street:No.23 Rees the Coke and Coal retailer had his office here; he also hired out Skips, now it is a private houseNo.24 Old Inns and Reminiscences of Pembroke Dock by H.H.R. Reynolds states that the CHARLTON HOTEL was previously known as the GROUND LANDLORD and was a cottage and printers shop prior to that. This is quite feasible because it is known that it changed its name following the death of Thomas Charlton’s mother in 1858, Thomas Charlton inherited Apley Castle in Shropshire and on doing so he adopted his mother’s maiden name which was ‘Meyrick’. (See, Apley Terrace & Charlton Place). The Charlton first appeared in Slater’s Directory in 1870, and the licensee was at that time Mary Hancock who held the license for thirty years. Should you from here turn south into Upper Park Street you would see the remains of a burial ground, where once stood a small, badly arranged, altar-less chapel, where occasional services were held. The priest, who came to attend to a funeral, was prepared to baptize any children who were then brought to him, and many, still living, received the sacrament of holy Baptism under such circumstances. The font, if there ever was one, has disappeared.The first burial in this cemetery was that of William Instance or Eustance, who was buried on Oct. 11th, 1834. A stone which recorded this fact has been broken beyond repair. At the south-west corner of the chapel, a high railing encloses two graves: one is that of an infant son of Capt. Ramsay, R.N., afterwards Lord Dalhousie, the other which was surmounted by a tomb bore the following inscription;Here lieThe Mortal Remains ofCaptain William Pryce Cumby, R.N., C.B.Of H.M. Yacht Royal Sovereign And Captain Superintendent ofPembroke Dock YardAn OfficerWhose zeal and professional servicesAt Trafalgar and St. DomingoDeserved and received the approbationOf his Country His active kindnessin promoting the welfare of others procured him the affectionate regardOf all who knew himThe loss of one so kind and goodHas taught his relations and friendsHow vain is every consolationBut that afforded by ReligionBy Christian submissionBy Christian HopeBorn XXth March MDCCLXXIDied XXVIIth September MDCCCXXXVII Cumby was lieutenant of the Bellerophon at the battle of Trafalgar. The 'approbation of his country' has allowed his last resting-place to be forgotten and neglected! The year which witnessed the consecration of this burial-ground witnessed also the opening of the Dockyard Chapel.Return now to Bush Street and walk into Park Street North and you would come to Frank Cawley’s specialist car repair garage; he learnt his trade while serving in the Army. (Pembroke Dock Museum has a feature on him)Mean while back in Bush Street;No.26 In 1881 Samuel John Allen a Photographer worked from here, but sometime before 1914 he had moved into the Cresswell Building No.34 Sweet Shop now a private houseNo.43 Prior to WW2 a Wellworth shop, known locally as the 3d and 6d shop was trading here, at some stage Mr Lawrence had a Grocery shop here. Today (2005) the Citizens Advice Bureau operate from here.No.44 the Wales Gas Board office and showroom. No.45A Was a fish shop and now (2006) is a private houseNo.47 Arthur Llewellyn Williams opened a Chemist at this address, one day an early car, either due to a steering failure or perhaps poor driving, mounted the pavement and ploughed into the shop window. The building in the back ground is in Meyrick Street. This building was used by Darrel Griffiths a plumber where he stored his equipment, he sold it early in 2009 and it is now occupied by a Housing Least Company.The apartments behind Bethel Church show little of the problems caused in WW2 when on the 12th of May 1941 the German bombers dropped their bombs on the town, as a result of this a great many houses suffered damages and were later demolished. In this area was cleared the plot became a garage for the Silcox Bus Company. No.51 was the GREYHOUND Public House which appeared in Kelly’s Directory for 1891, this was the only listing to appear, however the fact that a premises is not listed does not necessarily mean that it had closed, it is known that prior to and during of WW2 the Culley family held the licence. It would appear that the Funeral Directors JOHN ROBERTS & SON bought the building.St Johns Church - On Aug. 19, 1846, Edward Laws, Esq., trustee of the Meyrick estate, conveyed, for a consideration of £50, to the Church Building Commissioners a site for the erection of the Church. Lord Auckland, the then First Lord of the Admiralty, laid the foundation stone on Sept 21st, 1846. He was accompanied by Sir Charles Adams, Capt. Berkeley (later Lord Fitzhardinge), and Capt. Cowper (afterwards Lord Mount Temple). The work must have been commenced before the execution of the deed of conveyance, as it was far advanced when the stone was laid, the function having evidently been delayed so as to fit in with the annual inspection of the Dockyard. The Pembrokeshire Herald of Sept. 25th, 1846, devoted a column to a description of the stone-laying ceremony. It tells us that the Rev. James Allen, chairman of the Building Committee, distributed tickets freely to admit the holders to seats in a gallery erected for the occasion. A procession, perhaps the most imposing that Pembroke Dock has ever seen, was formed at the National School, and marched to the site in the following orderThe Scholars of the National School.The Architect and the Builder.The Mayor and Corporation with Mace Bearers.Officials and Clerks of H.M. Dockyard.The Military Officers of the Depot and Garrison, in full dress uniform.The Naval Officers in Port in uniform.The Rev. G. F. Kelly, M.A. (1st Incumbent),and Churchwardens.The Clergy of the Neighbourhood in 'Canonicals.'The Building Committee.Earl of Auckland, G.C.B., with Sir CharlesAdams, and other Gentlemen of the Board of the Admiralty.At the site itself Lord Auckland was greeted by the hoisting of the flag of the Lords of the Admiralty, and was received by a Guard of Honour, composed of 50 Royal Marines, the enclosure being kept by a detachment of the 37th (Hampshire) Regt. A psalm was sung, and the Rev. G. F. Kelley read the service appointed for the occasion. The Rev. James Allen read the inscription on the parchment, which was then placed in a sealed bottle, together with the customary coins. When the stone had been 'well and truly laid,' Lord Auckland delivered an address, and he was followed by Capt. Falcon, the then Captain Superintendent of the Yard.A plate seems to have been placed over the cavity in the stone, and then walled over. This plate is said to bear the following inscription 'This corner stone of the Church of St. John the Evangelist was laid on the 21st of September, A.D. 1846, by George, Earl of Auckland, G.C.B., First Commissioner of the Admiralty; James Pack Harrison, Esq., Architect; David Griffith, Mason; T. Maples, Clerk of the Works.'A local tradition identifies a stone bearing the broad arrow near the tower door as the foundation stone, but there is no definite proof of this. St John’s was built in 1845, shortly after this the Army, having been told that they could no longer use the Garrison Chapel began to use St John’s, however the church was not large enough for all of them, therefore for the first time in the history of the British standing army the men were allowed to choose their religion, and in my experience during 1958 the Orderly Sergeant still questioned the soldiers at the church door to ascertain their religion. The man on the left wearing a white helmet is possibly a soldier of the 2nd Battalion. The Duke of Edinburgh’s Wiltshire Regiment. No.50-52 CAMBRIA HOUSE which stands on the corner of Church and Bush Street (see above): was occupied by S. DAVIES a DraperNo.53 CHANCERS NIGHT CLUB appeared in 2009No.54 IRONMONGERS shop owned and run by George Fish, his fame in life was to lay in front of the German tanks when they first arrived for training at Castlemartin. When he died his brother Ted took over. Following his death the business closed and the building was divided into flats. In the above picture the Ironmongers shop has a black car parked outside.No.55 The Conservative Club (1883) was here for many years, now 2008 renamed to become the Club MartelloNo.56 & No.58 At some stage this was occupied by the Lipton Store which was possibly prior to GIBBY the Chemist, in the 1950’s Williams Café was on the first floor and had the first Jukebox in Pembroke Dock (1959/60). Today this building has been refurbished as Flats.No.57 Oliver’s Shoes traded from here followed by Mr Fred Lewis (opposite St. Johns Church) he was a wholesale sweet supplier general store complete with Furnishings and Ironmongery. Today Adept Dry Cleaners have the building. No.59 By 1914 William Henry Thomas a photographer was working from this address, he moved away about 1923/26.No.60a. is a Barbers Shop Est. 1981, with flats on the upper floorsNo.61 Lieutenant Charles Gordon (later General) having arrived in Pembroke Dock took up residence in this building (see Gordon Street). It is possible that when Gordon departed for the Crimean in 1854 that Taylors the Ironmongers moved in, this family was not related to the Taylors trading on Dimond Street. Today General Gordon’s house is an antique and household shop.No.62 Gibby the Chemist and Druggist was followed by a convenience Shop. Thomas Fish has parked his van in front of the building. And the house behind the van you can see it was damaged by German bombs.No.63 A company trading in Naval, Military and Mufti Ladies Costumes, the complex was bombed in an air raid on 12th May 1941, following the war No.63 (and 47 Lewis Street) were rebuilt while No.46’s plot in Lewis Street is still vacant. Shortly after the building was completed it became known as Howards corner, as he was the largest dealer in leather in the area. When he moved on the building was used by the Food Office, followed by the Guardian Newspaper Office, today (2009) No.63 and 47 is now a dental surgery. No.65 was in 1889 the Bush Tavern according to Slater’s Royal National Commercial Directory and the licensee was John Rougier, the Bush Tavern is still trading today (2009). No.66 GEORGE JONES & SON were Builders and Contractors, Freehold Estate Building followed by Pembroke Wash Vac Centre.No.69 this was a two storied house and shop with an arched vehicular access to the yard at the rear. In 1939 it was occupied by Edith Thomas and after the Second World War by Mr Geoff. Hewitt trading as Hewitt Brothers, who was an electrical contractor and he also sold electrical goods from the shop, after his death, the premises were sold. They were demolished in the late 1990s and the present building constructed on the site. No.75 the ‘Home Stead’ ‘Alternative medicine’, now (2008) has been developed into Apartments. ETTRICK HOUSE W. & J. GRIEVE trading in Gents clothing made on the premises by experienced Workmen. 2005 changed to apartments. St ANDREWS CHAPEL built in 1866 by the Calvinists, who moved from the GERSHOM CHAPEL in 1867/68. A recently erected building; it is consequently like its contemporaries. It accommodates about 1,200 persons and ws erected in 1866.No.76 On the site of this building was the ORD’s THEATRE Captain Ramsey, RN, was a great follower of the various events, which took place in the Ord's Theatre, which stood at the north east end of South Gwyther Street. It is recorded that he would often pay admission costs for up to 50 boys a week in order that they could enjoy the entertainment staged there. This theatre was still in operation in 1900.No.90 in 1953 Mr H. Colvin moved his window cleaning and chimney sweeping from 13 Prospect Place to this place. County Intermediate School - This school was situated in Bush Street to the east of Argyle Street and was built by the School Board between 1897 and 1899. It was enlarged in 1904 to provide laboratories for the study of the sciences. Further buildings were added in 1933 and these included the school hall and gymnasiumMEMORIAL PARK, This ground was purchased or leased by the Board of Ordnance c1850 as part of a general scheme to strengthen the defences in the area. It is shown on the 1861 O.S. Map as an athletic ground and was used as such during the Centenary Celebrations of 1914. It was little used by the Military after W.W.I and was purchased by Pembroke Borough Council from Bush Estate in the early 1920s to form a Memorial Park. On Saturday 2nd May 1925, it was opened by Lady Mary Meyrick (of Bush). At the opening some hilarity was caused by a dog who wandered onto the scene at the crucial moment of declaring the Park open. The new gates were opened by Councillor Mrs E.W. Kemp on Sunday 24th June 1956 and she was presented with a silver key. A World War One tank was placed on a plinth at the entrance of the Park as a tribute to the dead and a reminder of the futility of war. It had been removed before the Second World War and the public conveniences which were erected on the site have now been demolished. In 1941, the grass tennis courts were ploughed up to grow onions, to help with the food shortage. In 1956 new ornamental gates were installed together with a clock in memory of Arthur Jane Kavanagh aged 12 (son of Albert George Kavanagh and Cecelia Kavanagh of 14 Hill Street) and Cyril Morris Jenkins aged 18 (son of William James Jenkins and Mary Jenkins of 5 Hill Street) who were two A.R.P. messenger boys killed near Imble lane by the blast from a bomb on 11th June 1941. Mr John Thomas Baskerville aged 53, who was an Air Raid Warden, was also killed in the same incident. He was the husband of Edith Mary Baskerville of 91 High Street, Pembroke Dock. St Albans Church was one of the brick built huts at Bush Camp and was used as a church by the Army, the map above show where the church was situated. In 1949, it was one of the buildings rented to Pembrokeshire Council as part of the temporary fire station and was demolished c1958. The site is now part of the Hawkestone Road Estate (the south western end of St. John’s Road). The houses of Gwyther Street South can be seen in the back ground BREWERY ROW or SOUTH BREWERY STREETWas the original name ofCHARLTON PLACE Which changed its name after Thomas Charlton who, following the death of his mother in 1858 inherited Apley Castle in Shropshire; he also adopted his mothers maiden name which was ‘Meyrick’. (See Apley Terrace & Charlton Hotel). On the corner of Charlton Place and Bush Street was W.G. Rees Baker – Grocer and Provisions, today his house and business has given way to a green area. In 1880 Slater’s Royal National Commercial Directory lists the STEAM HAMMER in Charlton Place; the Licensee was Francis N. Packe. POLICE STATION In 1884 the Police Court was first opened at Pembroke Dock, I am aware that in the nineteen fifties the court was in the Market place, it was also known to have been in the Mechanics Institute, the Constables at some stage were PC Charles Giles and PC Frances Bodman. RESERVOIRS - These were two reservoirs built by the Admiralty before 1861. They were fed by springs issuing into tunnels driven under the Barrack Hill and from a well at the top of Tregennas Hill. Originally they supplied water to the Dockyard and the houses built on Government land in Cumby Terrace, Princes Street, Market Street and Pembroke Street. They were used as emergency water tanks for fire fighting during W.W.II but were filled in the early 1970s to make a playing field for Albion Square School. OLD POUND and LOCK-UP - This pound and lock-up was sited on the verge at the south end of the street and consisted of a stone built pound and an adjoining small lock-up with an iron studded wooden door. The pound was for unruly animals and the lock–up for unruly humans. It was demolished in the 1950s.
Bush Street by Mr T Fish31 Meyrick St: Agnes Fish set up a bazaar here having moved from Cardiff after WW 1. This remained open until 1944. Subsequently occupied by Cecil Davies, a grocer, until Fenton Factors moved in, followed by Pembroke Angling in June 95.54 Bush St: Thomas Fish, Hardware Store was set up by Thomas & Agnes Fish in 1920. Having spent a short period in Queen St. The shop was initially run by Agnes Fish, Thomas B Fish, having moved to PD to supervise the erection of Army huts at Llanion Barracks and at Bush Camp.George, the eldest son, was in the Post Office and part time in The National Fire Service. He attended the Tank Fire in 1940, and was probably the fireman closest the scene when the bombs dropped, as he was delivering post in Military Rd. He was also in St Johns Ambulance part time and joined the newly formed Pembrokeshire Ambulance Service in 1948, until retirement.A bomb dropped destroying 58-62 Bush St on 11th May 1940, causing considerable damage to 54.Tom Fish [Jnr] assisted with shop deliveries and when Agnes couldn't continue, Tom and Ron Fish ran the shop for many years until May 82 when, Tom and his wife Gwen took over until November 88.50 Bush St: Harry Raven & his wife Daisy ran a greengrocers shop here for many years, business continued after their retirement by Frances & Jim Harries56 Bush St; Raymonds butchers shop operated for many years in the 50-60. There was a café on the 2nd floor ran by Walter Williams, who subsequently moved to the "Double Two" café on London Rd. When the café ceased he opened a petrol station on the same site and eventually Tesco bought the area and still operate.49 Bush St: Ronald Morgan, "Borough Stores" ran a grocers here for many years in the 50s-70, when Ian Peters took over as " Captain Cook" delicatessen. Nin Thomas of Cresswell Quay working here for many years till Jan 79, with Betty Smith and John Fenwick and Ruby Fish.51 Bush St: Alfred "Affie" Davies ran his undertakers business from this address until taken over by John Roberts in the 70s. Currently run by his son Neil, following his dads death.57 Bush St: T P Williams, a sweet wholesaler was run by John MacCall and his wife Eileen in the 50s and 60s59 Bush St : Brawns Bakery was owned by Ron & Rose Brawn, and operated here for many years, including a van delivery round to the country areas61 Bush St: Donovans- a sports shop was run by Frank Donovan, an Olympic footballer and Boro player for many years. Frank also operated an electrical business from the premises.63 Bush St: West Wales Guardian, the weekly paper had an office here staffed by Llewelyn Thomas65 Bush St: Bush Tavern- run by Eddie Jones66 Hewitts Electrical- Shop and contracting business here for many years in late 60s69-72: Council OfficesShops between Park St & Meyrick St included Queenie Hughes, dressshop, later ran by Joyce Scourfield, Stephens fishmonger, & Elsdons Garage on the south side.Hope you can use the info to correct that held on the website. Possible further info on the fire together with bill headings are availableFishWith thanks to Mr T Fish............. More