This web site was developed in the Community By the Community for the Community by Pembroke Dock Community Web Project it is now managed and funded by Moonlightblue Community Services in conjunction with Your Pembroke Dock Project
Pembroke Dock Town “Our History”
MEYRICK STREET Named after T.C. Meyrick Meyrick Street was laid in 1906, and for the first time the Borough Council decided to start renaming all the streets which were previously known as Upper or Lower and North or South. Meyrick Street like so many streets in Pembroke Dock hosted an unbelievable number of Public Houses, with most of them not registering with Pigot & Co Commercial Directory - Robson Commercial - Hunt & Co Directory & Topography - Slater’s Directory and Slater’s Royal National Commercial Directory or Kelly’s South Wales Directory.  All of which makes it very difficult to accurately identify where in the street were they.  I further note that the Admiralty designed the width of Meyrick Street in order to accommodate two horse teams to manoeuvre side by side, today this street could still accommodate that. GIBBY’s YARD was at the bottom of the street, this yard occupied the site of a building slip which was part of S. R. Allen’s shipbuilding yard (Richard Allen and Son).  In 1873 the Pembroke Dock Co-operative Shipbuilding Company was formed and took over the yard.  This yard lasted until 1879 when the company went bankrupt and the building slip was filled in.  It then became the yard of Gibby and Co. who were wheelwrights.  (The walls of this building slip are still underground and was exposed for a while when the St. Govan’s Centre was being built.) THE GRAND CINEMA Co Ltd. was built in 1914, the manager at that time was Henry Claypole, and it was built on the site of Gibby’s yard where it remained for sixty years until it closed in 1974.  The building was corrugated iron on a timber frame except for the façade which was of rendered brickwork, and was demolished in the early 1980s and has been replaced by the St. Govan’s Centre.  PEMBROKE PRINTING, trade from a building which was previously used as a BANANA WARE HOUSE. WEIGH BRIDGE.  This was on the west side of lower Meyrick Street and complete with an office where Mr Walsh would operate the Bridge, a public toilet was at the other end of the building. Today 2009 two small shops now trade from the offices and the weigh bridge and toilets haave long disappeared. NAAFI.  Navy Army Air Force Institute was on the south side of the railway for a very short period – Mr Phillips JP had his shop here, today it is occupied by Dorina’s ladies wear, which was previously at No.65 Dimond Street. No.1 the Queens Hotel was first mentioned in Kelly’s Directory in 1891, the licensee at that time was William Nail and was last mentioned in 1914; however it did not close at that time it just declined to register. I certainly remember it being open in 1968 but on my returned in 1980 it was a toy shop and later a Solicitor’s office.      No.2 County Council offices No.4 this was a double shop with RACHEL’s FLORIST – WEDDINGS & FUNERALS speciality. In 2008 it was a JEWELLERY shop and in studio 4a was HAIR CARE and MANICURES. No.11 During WW2 this building was HUNTS CAFÉ, which was owned by Mrs Phelps daughter of HUNTS BAKERY, which in turn was managed by Mrs O’Mara who lived in Lewis Street.  Some time later J & E Mcgroary who specialised in LADIES and MEN’s SHOES took this building, today (2009) it is Parry Shoes. No.12 PRINCE of WALES (the third Inn by that name in the town) At some period Mathias-Thomas and Lewis which incorporated Meyrick Owen and Company. No.10 The MIDLAND BANK sat between the two pubs but closed down in c1980’s.  Shortly after, the Citizens Advice Bureaux took over the upper floors, while the Communities First took the ground floor rooms. No.13 the IMPERIAL HOTEL was at this number, it was first mentioned in Kelly’s Directory for 1914, but as explained earlier a great many Hotels and Public Houses did not register. The next occupant was: When this closed a SPORTS TIME shop was opened by Mike and Pat, and when they moved on it became an ELECTRICAL SHOP. The FREE ZION CHURCH No.8  This building is in two parts, in one is Safe Haven Domiciliary Ltd and in the other part is Safe Haven Training Ltd No.14? The Pembroke Dock Journal produced every Thursday for 1d latterly the office of the WESTERN TELEGRAPH  No.19 and 23 was the MEYRICK STORES managed by D.C. Davies this was a high class grocery.  Today this shop has reverted back to two shops, where No.19 now has become a USA Chicken out let.  Next to that is No.23 which is now an Oriental Kitchen.  No.25   Pugh the Option No.27   Is a shop named ‘Total Image’ No.21   Mr Chips this is Browns fish and chips restaurant with snack bar No.29  In 1938 F.W. Herriman a Solicitor occupied this building No.   BRIDAL COLLECTIONS One stop shop for any weddings No.34 MILITERIA buttons and badges etc. No.31a The LAMB AND FLAG public house was trading from here, but it was never mentioned in the Directories.  Following its closure POST OFFICE and SORTING OFFICE, where today the sorting office is now the Rectory and the ‘Post Office’ is the accommodation. No.    Fenton Factors a car care outlet closed down in the late 1990’s.  The shop laid empty a long period, when Pembroke Angling moved in. No.37 John Lloyd for Painting, Paperhanging and House Decorator No.38 PEMBROKESHIRE ARMS traded here between 1880-1891, the first Licensee was Mrs Charlotte Brooman and in 1926 it was Daniel James.  This was followed by a General Store, (Some say it was perhaps the first ‘Wellworth’ Store) it was run by the Howard family who also ran a business on the corner of Bush and Lewis Street. At one time a large brown sign was painted on the Lewis Street wall stating he was the largest leather dealer in West Wales, after WW2 he took a shop on Military Road Pennar and opened a Grocery shop. The next occupant was the West Wales Guardian news paper Office.  In 2005 this building reopened as the Citizen’s Advice Bureaux. BETHEL CHAPEL It is said that this Chapel was built following a falling-out with the parent Bethany Chapel, right or wrong it brightens Meyrick Street up with its design and beauty. THE BRITISH SCHOOL was opened in 1848 for both boys and girls.  It was built end on to the road and had separate playgrounds, following the passing of the Education Act 1870, it became a Board School in 1872.  The School Board pursued the very enlightened policy of providing more schools and on the 20th December 1877 Albion Square School was opened.  The junior and senior boys were then transferred from Meyrick Street to Albion Square and the old British School became the Public Elementary School for Infants and Girls.  The Headmistress was Mary Anne Edwards and the Pupil Teacher was Myra A. Rowe.  There were 66 pupils in 1877 but this had risen to 188 by April 1879 and to 317 by 1886.  The British School was demolished in 1901, and the council purchased the house adjoining the North side, which was formally No.4, to form part of a new school which was then named the Coronation School. Above is a photo of school girls coming up from the Coronation School to join the 1919 Victory parade and celebrations in Albion Square, under the watchful eye of the Head Teacher Miss Griffiths. In later years the school adopted a ‘Code of Honour, which read ‘PLAY THE GAME WHATEVER YOU DO – DO THE RIGHT BECAUSE IT IS RIGHT – DO YOUR DUTY AT ANY COST – KEEP YOUR WORD ONCE GIVEN – ABHOR MEAN ACTIONS – HELP THE WEAK AND THOSE THAT ARE DOWN. No.69 TALBOT TAVERN was next door to Trinity Chapel and Mr John Evans held the license, the tavern appears in Slater’s Royal National Commercial Directory for 1880/84. It is thought that the Talbot changed its name to the SOLDIERS RETURN INN and in 1870 changed again to become the BLENHEIM, after a well-known ‘Guardship’ in the Haven.  This building in now a private house. No.195  In 1861 Major Henry E. R. Burnside, his wife and three sons, commander of the 101st Royal Bengal (European) later to become the Royal Munster Fusiliers PESTLE and MORTAR was on the corner of Meyrick Street and Prospect Place, it appeared in the 1891 Kelly’s Directory, it was owned by Mr. Leans the chemist and the Licensee was William Lane.  At some stage it changed its name, the first thought was to name it the ‘Dives’ however it eventually renamed ‘Imperial’, but it was never mentioned in Kelly’s, Slater’s or Pigot’s Directory.  WATER STREET Was Water Street really named after a water pump or was it because the sea came over the road on high tides?   Fortland House previously named the ‘Three Lamps’ was built by Mr Hussey in the period 1836/38, and for some reason the house shared the same address as the Pier Hotel.  During WW2 this building along with the Pier and the Criterion Hotel were bombed, but unlike the Hotels Fortland house was rebuilt, see the original house on page 42  As we know the building on the round-about of London Road and Western Way is the original water pump and building which received water from Rosebush and pumped it into the town for the first time on August 1st 1899.  Note the picture where the wall at the front of the Pump House slopes from about two feet high to about six foot as the troops march up Water Street.   No.1 The CRITERION HOTEL was first mentioned in Kelly’s Directory in 1891 as a Tavern, the licensee was Mrs Margaret Price, it stood on the South East corner of London Road and Water Street.  Previously named the ‘Bombay Hotel’ it was also known locally as the Round House, it was demolished on the 12th May 1941 by German bombers.  Tucked in beside the Hotel was Mr Harvey Folland a Blacksmith next to him was a Boat Repair Yard both of which were damaged. TREMEYRICK STREET formally Bachelor's Row - It is alleged that two bachelors, John Hall and Captain James Cocks built the street (Refer to Mrs. Peters book).  In 1861 number ten was a Public house called ‘The Setting Sun’, however should this be the case it was never recorded under Taverns, Hotels or Public Houses. While we are on this corner we cannot dismiss the BIERSPOOL FARMHOUSE and DOVECOTE. The piece of land on which the farmhouse was built was formerly known as Bayard's Pool (1772 Bush Estate map) and earlier as Bernard's Pool.  The original building date is not known but it was in existence in the early 1600s when it may have been owned or occupied by the Bennett family.  This family are said to have also owned Merian and lived in a ‘decaiyed house at Monston’ (?Monkton or Moreston). It is shown in the 1786 Land Tax as Buyerspool with the owner as J.G. Meyrick and in the 1791/92 Land Tax the owner is shown as J. F. Meyrick and the tenant as Mr William Roberts.  On the 1772 Bush Estate map it is shown as belonging to Bush and it is probable that it formed part of the land ‘purchased’ by Bush Estate from William Adams in 1704. By 1815 it was occupied by a Mr Samuel Dawkins who met General Sir Thomas Picton on his recruiting drive in South Pembrokeshire.  Picton was killed the same year at Waterloo and the East Llanion area was, ‘by common consent’, named Waterloo.  Bierspool farmhouse was a ‘T’ shaped building which had been added to over the years.  The farm included a dove-cote in the yard, a grinding machine for animal foods operated by a circular horse windlass on the west side of the house (1861 map) and the usual barns, carthouses, stables and piggeries.  There was a pond in the farmyard and an orchard on the North west side of the house.   After Mr Dawkins came Mr Joseph Gibby, who was a farmer and haulier his son, Mr Joseph Edward Gibby, OBE, JP. DL. of Upton Farm was also a farmer and haulier and was the tenant when the farm was purchased by the Local Authority c1950.  He was Sheriff of the County in 1957, a Fellow of the Royal Agricultural Society, President of the Royal, Welsh Agricultural Society and President of the British Friesian Cattle Society.  His coat of arms had the motto ‘In God is my strength’. The last occupiers of Bierspool appear to be Mr and Mrs H. Jefferies who were tenants of Mr Gibby. To the South East of the farm complex was a large quarry and from this a track led to the eastern end of Hawkestone Road at the bottom of Gwyther Street (1864 O.S. map).  The farmhouse was sited to the west of what is now the entrance road to the Bierspool commercial site (Tesco’s car park) and this road appears to be on the line of the original entrance to the farm.  All buildings on the site were demolished in the 1970s. BIERSPOOL TOLLHOUSE and TOLLGATE (Turnpike Gatehouse) Built c1832 and situated to the east of the junction of London Road and King William Street.  It consisted of a house with a basement and large kitchen garden.  The Toll gates were across the road with a separate gate on the southern side for pedestrians.  There was also a street lamp outside the toll house (1861 1/500 OS map).  The toll collector in 1881 was Joseph Gardner who lived there with his wife Elizabeth.  The gate was removed in 1899 and houses now cover the site of the toll house and garden (45 to 53 London Road).  I have not seen any drawings or photographs of the toll gate or house but there were supposed to be some engravings in the Pier Hotel.  These were probably destroyed when the premises were demolished by a German land mine in 1941. Let us now continue along Water Street: THE DUMFRIES Public House opened in 1901 but shortly after became a ‘soldiers and sailors’ home kept by Marie E. Law who was the widow of a former drill instructor of the Pembrokeshire Royal Artillery Volunteers, the male members of the Law family were all in the Armed Forces during WW1.  When Madam Law sold up it became a Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) which some time later gave way to the Pembroke Dock Steam Laundry Company.  And on the same sight in 1957 work began on a new Police Station on this site. Squibb’s Photography Studio was built in 1921/1922 by Arthur Squibb’s and was situated on the western side of Water Street (almost opposite the present Police Station).  It was set on fire by incendiary bombs during an air raid on 12th May 1941 and later demolished. HYGIENIC STEAM BAKERY owned by Fred Rogers it closed and was demolished to make way for a car park for K’s Kitchen) K’s KITCHEN stands on the corner of Water Street and King William Street.  In the last quarter of 2008 its name changed to MARIE’s. The Lane beside K’s has an interesting past: KING WILLIAM STREET Named after Prince William Known locally as GASHOUSE LANE  Nos. 1 to 11 - These houses were built towards the end of the nineteenth century and were bought by the Gas Board in 1953 for the purpose of extending their operation.  They were never used for this purpose.  The houses in this street were badly damaged in an air raid on the 12th May 1941 when the Gas Works received a direct hit.  Numbers 1, 2, 10 and 11 had to be demolished and the remainder were repaired.  Numbers 3 to 9 were the subject of Clearance Area procedure and the Borough Council purchased them for demolition.  They were retained for temporary housing accommodation until final demolition in the 1970s. These were a row of four single storied cottages situated between the King William Street houses and the railway line.  They ran in a north / south direction along the western boundary wall of the site.  The date of building is not known but it was after 1863.  They are shown on a map dated 1902 and were occupied in the 1930s but are not shown in the 1939 Electoral Register.  During W.W.II they became derelict and roofless and were finally cleared in the 1970s. Gas Company Stores These occupied the whole of the eastern end of the street and were demolished in the 1970s.  Back now to Water Street: ELFORD's SAWMILLS - These were situated behind Water Street on the south side of the lane leading from Water Street to Lower Meyrick Street.  Elford also owned a Timber Yard and this was opposite on the north side of the lane. The sawmills are first mentioned in the 1891 Kelly’s trade directory and are listed as ‘Elford Brothers, timber importers, slate, brick and tile merchants, Water Street Sawmills’ and seem to have existed until about 1914.  In 1902, they are shown as steam sawmills and a boiler house is shown on the west side of the mill.  In 1942 they were sold to Messrs Hancock and used again as sawmills until they were demolished and the Co-operative Food Hall built on the site c1966.  This has now been demolished and the site is used as a car park  No.15-19 HEATHCOTE HOUSE was the home for the Silcox Family and the office for their bus company which was created in 1882, and it is still a residential building; they also had a Cycle shop trading as the cheapest & best house in Pembroke-shire for cycles and saddlers the shops for this was in No.15 to 19, which today (2009) are private houses.  They also used an ‘Overland Van’, number plate DE4940 for the delivery and collection of Laundry for the Pembroke Dock Laundry Company, where the Police Station now stands. (Note the way which Pembrokeshire was written) ? CP MOVERS a new company that started in 2009, they deliver for retailers and/or house moving EMBASSY SNOOKER HALL following its closure in1999 it became KIM’s GYM. Recently (2006) part of the building became a car spares shop (21A) named SYNCRO. No.20 In1969 records show that J.A. Meyrick Owen Esq. traded from this number. No.28 CHERITON HOUSE Mr Goriah, a native of Mauritius and was a wireless operator serving with the RAF in WW2, set up a Dental Practice on demob.  After his death his widow sold up and moved to Cosheston.   The building was refurbished as flats in 2000. No.30 A. F. GRIEVE was registered in 1953 trading as a Monument Sculptor and complete funeral furnisher Memorials in granite and stone. (2008 Private house) WAVERLY HOTEL, Elders of the Town spoke of the Waverly Hotel but to date no evidence of this has been found.  However there is a house which many of the towns elder say was the Waverly.  Today it is a private house, but it still has a large stable. Was this formally known as the Coach and Horses? Which was said to be on Water Street, but like a thousand other pieces of the town’s history it is (as yet) hidden. No.37 was the office of Frank Owen and his company ‘Incorporation Estate Agent’ his slogan was: “Meet me by daylight” to discuss “You’re house purchase problems”, following his death the building reverted to a town house. No.39 Brown & Co. Undertakers, Funerals Completely Furnished and General Repairs executed complete with picture frames made to order. ALEXANDRIA was built about 1869 and up to 1884 it was shown in Dimond Street.  However in Kelly’s Directory for 1891 it shows it to be in Water Street, where it remained until 1914 on the occasion of its name change to Alexandria Vaults. The reason for this is the use of the door, where in its early days the door on Dimond Street was in use and from 1891 to 2006 the Public door was on Water Street.  Today (2008) it has apartments with a shop on the ground floor looking onto Dimond Street No.17 the STAR public house appeared for the first and last time in the 1870 Slater’s Directory.  However the Slater’s Royal National Commercial Directory for 1884 was showing the Star at No.17 Water Street.  When in the period 1884 to 1891 the Borough Council renumbered the street from the opposite direction to what it was, therefore in Kelly’s Directory for 1891 it shows the Star Inn to be at No.41.  Mr Samuel Frise was the licensee from 1880 to 1901. LAW STREET This street is named after Mr. Edwards Laws, who was a Clerk of the Cheque in the Royal Dockyard (see Pembroke People by Richard Rose Page 94).  He raised £50 to purchase the ground where St Johns Church stands today; he was also one of the executors of Thomas Meyrick of Bush.   Edward Laws died on 2nd January 1854 and was buried in the catacombs at Kensal Green Cemetery London.   Pater Ward was created 1835. And Council Meetings were first held in Pembroke Dock on November 18th 1874.  The first mayor selected from Pater was Mr. Edward Laws.  Therefore it was fitting to name the new road Law Street. In 1906 the Borough Council decided that Laws Street North and Law Street South would become one street called Laws Street and would be numbered consecutively from end to end. No.1 the PRINCE OF WALES HOTEL was recorded in Slater’s Directory in 1870, the Licensee was H.P. George, and in 1884 the licence was held by Sydney Webb who was also a local photographer. The Hotel was closed in 2008 and is still on the market. No.3 is the LA BRASSEUA Restaurant. No.5 this was occupied by a cobbler of the Rowe Family, the family later stopped the boot and shoe business to set up a pet shop in the same building, by 2006 it was a private house. No.6 In 1861 Charles Brady aged 36 of the 101st Royal Bengal (European) Fusiliers in 1881 they renamed to the Royal Munster Fusiliers.  W. J. EVANS - High- Class Groceries and Provisions - Cooked Ham was his speciality, at some stage R.M. Collins bought this property and combined No.6 and 8 into one unit from which they traded in Men’s and School Wear for Boys & Girls. No.7 In 1861 Mich' McNamosa aged 36 of the 101st Royal Bengal (European) Fusiliers, in 1881 they renamed to the Royal Munster Fusiliers.  Mr Owen retailing cloths and other materials of all colours, at some stage he moved to Upper Queen Street, he was also a member of the town council.  A LAUNDRETTE bought the building complete with flat over. No.8 JOHN H. TEE (The individual outfitter) (Opposite the Bus Stop as it was before the zebra crossing) the best for School Outfit, Fully Lined Blazers, Morley “Repton” Shirts, Pleton Caps and Ties, Scarves and Sports Kit. He was followed in 1971 by R.M. Collins retailing Men’s Wear plus School Wear for Boys & Girls. No.11 SWIFTS CYCLE SHOP was trading in Motor Cycle Accessories complete with tyres and tubes.   They were also Agents for: Excelsior Scooters & Motor Cycles which included the Coventry-Eagle Falcon & Elswick Hopper Cycles, repairs swiftly and efficiently executed. No.19 was acquired in 1993 by Mr Roberts who is an agent for hired clothing such as weddings or other functions. No.21 Bissmire & Fudge Solicitors which closed in 2008, the building has now been adapted to flats. No.23 is a Fish & Chip restaurant with Flat over. No.28 In 1861 Samual Burchell aged 39 serving with the 101st Royal Bengal (European) Fusiliers, in 1881 they renamed to the Royal Munster Fusiliers. No.30  In 1861 Private Patrick Collins aged 35 serving with the101st Royal Bengal (European) Fusiliers, in 1881 they renamed to the Royal Munster Fusiliers.  No’s.31 to 41 (odd numbers only). These two storied houses dating from the 1860s were destroyed or badly damaged in an air raid on 12th May 1941.  Listed are those who lost their lives were:- No.31 Mr Alexander McKenzie aged 18. Who was the son of John Knox McKenzie, (HM Forces).  Mrs Lily Elizabeth McKenzie aged 45. Wife of John Knox McKenzie, Master Cyril McKenzie aged 13. Son of John Knox McKenzie, (HM Forces), Mr John Henry Thomas aged 49. No.33 Mrs Elizabeth Hutchings aged 72.  Widow of William Henry Hutchings, No.35 Mr John Frederick Harries aged 63.    Mrs Emily Jane Harries aged 68.  Mrs Hannah Maria Beatrice Hammerton aged 32, Widow of Robert Edward Holden Hammerton. No. 37 Mr Thomas Evans aged 74.  Mrs Agnes Gwyn Dolene Evans aged 43. No.39 Mr Harry Howard Rixon Reynolds aged 71. The son of Dr Howard David Reynolds, and Mrs Elizabeth Reynolds aged 63. No.41 the THREE CROWNS public house first appeared in Slater’s Directory in 1870, and the Licensee was Sarah Scurlock. In 1914 the licensee was William H. Canton. The day the bombs dropped on the town Mr John Alfred Bowen was the Licensee and following the air raid he was listed as being killed; however he was injured not dead and recovered to re-establish the Three Crowns on the west side of the street. Sadly he died 1st May 1945 at the County Hospital, Haverfordwest.  The houses on the west side were also severely damaged but it appears that there were no casualties. These houses were later classed as a total loss by the War Damage Commission.  The remains of the buildings on both sides of the street were cleared and 20 one bedroom and 4 two bedroom flats were built on the sites in 1955.   No.42 the THREE CROWNS public house was rebuilt on the other side of the road.  The date of the photograph on page 45 is unknown; however we do know that it before the end of April 1945, because as you have already read John Bowen died on May 1st 1945.   On the reverse is written ‘From left to right Mr Leonard - caretaker of the Temperance Hall, Alderman G.E. Manning, Jim (Spot) Morgan - Estate Agent, George Huxtable and Mr Alf Bowen of the Three Crowns.   No.46 In 1861 Patrick Burke aged 29 of the101st Royal Bengal (European) Fusiliers, in 1881 they renamed to the Royal Munster Fusiliers. No.49-50 combined to become a Doctors Surgery, but in 2008 it was sold to developers No.51 ‘OWEN HIRE’ Omnibus and Carriage Proprietor - Hearse & Mourning Carriages & Mail contractor at some stage Mr B Edwards took over and he then hired Mr Bailey, Eventually the Arch way into the rear of the property was blocked up and a Doctors Surgery moved in.  Up to the third quarter of 2008 the built up pavement into the arch was still in place.  In that same quarter the building was sold to developers, BUSH HOTEL VAULTS which was for the first time listed in Slater’s Directory; in 1870 the licensee was H.P. George.  It may not be generally known that Captain Rpbert Falcon Scott RN served on HMS Amphion 1887-88, the Empress of India and HMS Essex in 1908 all of which were built at Pembroke Dock. One afternoon the then Prime Minister (1894-5) Lord Rosebery with Admiral H.R.H. Prince Louis of Battenberg RN called at the Bush Hotel and were later observed walking in Pembroke Street, the noble Prince playfully striking a hoarding at the north end of the Market House.  His Lordship smilingly turned round and pointed to the Navy Tavern and White Hart.  The Bush Hotel has been converted to apartments. No.71 In 1861 Patrick Cain aged 40 serving with the 101st Royal Bengal (European) Fusiliers who renamed in 1881 to the Royal Munster Fusiliers. No.77 In 1858 the 15th Depot Battalion arrived from Buttevant in Ireland, at this time Laws Street was found to be a very sober and very quiet street to live in, which was possibly due to the chaplain of HM Forces in Wales, the Reverend Roland Charles Roberts’ lived at this address.  He died on 6th May 1900 and his memory is kept alive today by a plaque in Bethel Chapel, Meyrick Street.  In 1861 Lt. Col. P. Nesbitt aged 55 of the 101st Royal Bengal (European) Fusiliers, which in 1881 renamed to the Royal Munster Fusiliers. No 78 In 1861 John Dunn aged 32 of the 101st Royal Bengal (European) Fusiliers.  Which in 1881 renamed to the Royal Munster Fusiliers? No.96 In 1861 Quartermaster Samuel Blair from Sussex lived here in 1858.  He was serving with the 2nd (Pembroke Dock) Depot Battalion.
“Click on most Pictures to Enlarge”